After I got back from climbing today, I spent 4.5 hours flushing the intercooler on my car. To do so, I had to remove the radiator grille, front bumper, passenger headlight, and the intercooler itself, which was attached to two hoses and entirely too many bolts.
It was an arduous process. I was out in the heat that entire time, and received many mosquito bites for my trouble. In the end (read: almost halfway) I successfully pulled the intercooler from the warm embrace of the engine bay.
Some wiring, a sensor, and securing latch were nearly killed, but all lived to fight another day. I’m sure some neighbors had a few questions about what I was doing on my Labor Day weekend, since all this was done in the neighborhood parking lot.
There was talk of vacations, BBQs, picnics, and relaxing. Yet, here I was tearing my car in half and trying not to lose any bolts.
After a “close enough” cleaning, the intercooler was eventually reinstalled. Although, if the intercooler hadn’t dried completely, I’d try to start the car, water would get into the engine, everything would break/explode, and I’d need a new car. I prayed it was dry enough and hoped for the best.
I then had the privilege to reinstall the bumper, trim pieces, grille, and headlight. I turned the key. It didn’t explode. A success as far as I’m concerned. It was quite a day, I spent half of my Saturday and was offline so long I nearly had withdrawal symptoms. But the mechanical system is now much cleaner, and more likely to keep running until I’m out of student loan debt.